A Foundation of Giving
Happy 15 years MSL!
This post from last year’s Giving Tuesday, still rings true.
Below, a year is added, and a story retold:
By Marcia Kidd
On this Annual Fund Day of Giving, I look back on the past 15 years and the history of our young school. Being a part of the school from its first planning stages, I recall its fragile beginning – Thursday night meetings where a group of parents and staff, who described themselves as “ignorance on fire,”sat to discuss the ambitious goal of forming a viable Montessori school for their children. Over time, we would learn that starting a school was just the beginning, with much more work to follow. We hear of audacious goals that take hold in the hands of people with the vision and perseverance to transform a dream into reality. Montessori School of Louisville exists because of the vision, determination and incredible generosity of a small group of parents with a strong commitment to providing a Montessori education for their children. At this time, I would like to thank those people.
- For one family’s donation of $14,000 given to purchase Montessori materials from two different schools
- For a summer’s worth of labor and craftsmanship to construct beautiful shelves for our first classrooms
- For hours of business and legal expertise donated by parents to ensure that regulations and codes were met and the doors of a brand new school could open on time
- For the generosity of Our Mother of Sorrows Church, whose members helped MSL through its first year by paying our utilities and charging only $1,000 per month in rent
- For tables, chairs, library books and shelves – all donated by Our Mother of Sorrows School and still in use today
- For in-kind donations of furniture, countertops, rugs, tables, chairs, appliances, televisions, books, computers and more donated by families and friends of MSL
- For countless hours donated to clean and paint classroom walls
- For two dads who mopped floors and cleaned the school every Friday evening when we couldn’t afford a cleaning staff
- For parent donations so that staff could attend a Montessori conference
MSL was founded on the generosity of its families. The tradition of giving continues, as MSL friends and families, too many to mention here, year after year donate their time, talents and treasure to support the ongoing needs of a dream that began 15 years ago. Whether monetary donations to the Annual Fund or service to the community, these donations help to ensure that the vision of founding families continues and that education in an accredited Montessori school remains an option for families in the Louisville area.