Enrollment at MSL
Thank you for your interest in the educational opportunities available at Montessori School of Louisville. The decision to invest in a Montessori education is one that could have a profound impact on your family’s life. Admissions policies are founded on the educational philosophy of Dr. Maria Montessori and in keeping with the recommendations of the American Montessori Society and state licensing requirements.
Application and Enrollment Steps
In following Montessori School of Louisville’s mission of offering a child-centered, Montessori program that produces leaders, Montessori School of Louisville’s admission policy is as follows:
1. VISIT OUR CAMPUS: We invite you to tour our campus with Marcia Kidd, Director of Admissions and see the wonderful programs available at our school.
2. APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION AND APPLICATION FEE: Complete the application process online and pay the nonrefundable application fee of $50. A printable application is available.
3. ASSESSING READINESS (Toddler and Early Childhood) OR TESTING(K-12): After the Application is received; MSL will contact you to schedule a time for your child to visit. At the toddler and early childhood levels, teachers will spend time with your child assessing their readiness for school. At the kindergarten level, students are assessed for both their academic skill level as well as emotional needs. If necessary, teachers will request a child to visit the classroom to observe their interactions with peers.
At the elementary through middle school grades, students are invited to spend the morning in the classroom too. The idea is allows the teacher to observe the student’s interactions with his/her peers, as well as assess academic skills. Our admissions procedure takes into account our ability to accommodate particular students’ needs without disruption to our program. Students who have needs that fall within our ability to accommodate may be accepted with additional stipulations. If applicable, school records must be received before an enrollment contract is offered.
4. ACCEPTANCE: Once the above steps are completed, you will receive notification within 1 week concerning the status of your student(s) admission to our school. If results of the assessment support acceptance into the program, an Enrollment Contract will then be issued. Please note that no student is accepted without assessment and subsequent recommendation of the teacher.
5. ENROLLMENT: Complete Enrollment Contract and submit within 10 days with the enrollment deposit of $400. The enrollment process is complete once a FACTS account is created.
6. TUITION ASSISTANCE: MSL appreciates the level of commitment and sacrifice that tuition poses to families who choose a private education. We recognize that not every family can afford full tuition for their students and may need a Tuition Assistance. That is why we offer families the opportunity to apply for Tuition Assistance. For further questions, contact our Director of Finance, Lori Wendelin, email@example.com.
MSL reserves the right to admit and retain students on the basis of academic performance, philosophical compatibility, and a willingness to cooperate with the MSL’s administration and abide by the school’s policies.
Open Enrollment for the next academic year begins each year on February 1st. Prospective students who have Admissions Applications on file will be contacted in order by date of application to fill spaces available for specific ages and genders in each classroom. To the extent possible, the school strives to achieve a balance of gender and age in each classroom.
Year Round Enrollment
In addition to August enrollment, MSL enrolls students at all levels throughout the school year as space permits until April 1st. Start dates and transition periods for students may vary depending on calendar events and the individual needs of each student.
If our classrooms are fully enrolled, we will place your child’s name in our waiting pool. We occasionally experience withdrawals during the summer and urge parents to remain in this waiting pool. Applications are valid for one year. Parents who wish to remain in the waiting pool, must update their child’s application and reapply for the following year. During this time, tuition prices may have changed. Applicants who do not pursue enrollment at the time space is available will have the option of dropping down a space and waiting for the next available space.
Criteria for Eligibility for Enrollment
- Children must be 18 months of age by date of admission.
- Toilet training is not required.
- Prospective students must meet individually with a lead Toddler teacher to assess general readiness before being considered for admission. Students may also be asked to visit the classroom during the morning work cycle.
Early Childhood Program
- Children must be at least 30 months of age by date of admission.
- Children must be toilet trained. Diapers or pull-ups may not be worn to class.
- Prospective students must meet individually with a lead Early Childhood teacher to assess general readiness before being considered for admission. Students may also be asked to visit the classroom during the morning work cycle.
Elementary and Middle School Programs
- Children must meet all requirements for entry into the Elementary Program. It is recommended that children entering the Elementary Program are age 6 by September 1. Exceptions are made for transfer students based on the grade in which they are currently enrolled.
- Priority for admission may be given to students transferring from other Montessori programs.
- Students with no previous Montessori experience may be considered for admission if enrollment is supported by teacher assessment and recommendation.
- In addition to the individual assessment, applicants are required to spend a part of the morning work cycle in the elementary classroom.
- Parents of transfer students must give permission for MSL to request student records from the previous school and to speak with the child’s former teacher. In addition, parents are required to provide copies of any educational or psychological testing in which the child has participated.
- Results of any educational and psychological testing must be provided to MSL prior to enrollment.
- Copies of any IEP’s should be provided to the classroom teacher prior to the child’s classroom visit.
- Instruction for all students, including those students with learning differences, will be within the guidelines of Montessori philosophy and methodology.
- Enrollment of students with learning and behavioral differences will be determined on a case by case basis.
Is there a transition process for students as they enter the Montessori classroom?
In August, the MSL school year begins with transition days. A transition period pays long term benefits to the classroom, allowing children and staff to settle in and accomplish the first goals of the school year. Toddler and Early Childhood students transition by working in the classroom in smaller mixed age groups for shorter periods of time. In this way, teachers are able to focus on ground rules, procedures and individual children as they begin to acclimate to the classroom and prepare for the longer school day the following week. Elementary students also benefit by a half-day schedule for the first days of school. During this time, older students work with teachers to establish classroom rules and routines and become acquainted with children who are new to the classroom. Students enrolled after the start of the school year may also arrange a transition period of abbreviated school days with classroom teachers.
When does re-enrollment take place?
Montessori School of Louisville’s re-enrollment period takes place during the month of January. Returning students are given first priority and are offered an Enrollment Contract for the next school year during this time. For current students to secure their status for enrollment, Enrollment Contracts and the $400 Enrollment Fee must be received by January 31st.
At this time, applications will also be sent to siblings of currently enrolled students 18 months of age or older. To ensure priority status for enrollment, completed applications and $50 fee must be submitted by January 31st. Siblings who apply after January 31st will be placed in the waiting pool in order by date of application with applicants who are new to MSL.
Montessori School of Louisville welcomes and celebrates a diverse population and does not discriminate based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, physical disabilities or sexual orientation.